Today I have a couple nature and bird book recommendations. These four books are quick and easy gift ideas for anyone that lives in North Idaho or the Pacific Northwest and loves the outdoors.
Whether you are hiking in the mountains, bird watching, fishing in the lakes, or picking huckleberries beside the trails, the outdoors in North Idaho are full of endless possibilities.
4 Great Nature and Bird Books
As North Idaho residents and outdoor enthusiasts we know the fun of being in the outdoors. I’ve talked to people who are avid snowmobilers, others who are hunters, others that trail run the Selkirk mountains. Some prefer the scenic drives, others the biking trails, and some who prefer just sitting in the sun on the shore of a mountain lake.
The following books are geared specifically around plants and animals. Both of which are found in abundance here in the Panhandle of Idaho.
We highly recommend the Edible Wild Plants book for anyone looking to forage for food in North Idaho. The book is a great resource for identifying natural foods in the area.
- Clear and informative pictures and written explanations
- Compact size makes it easy to take with you on foraging trips
- Provides detailed information on over 200 natural foods
- Some pictures only show the plants at one stage of their life/year
- Could use more variety of pictures to help identify plants
- Black and white photos can make it difficult to identify certain plants
The Edible Wild Plants book is a great tool for anyone interested in foraging for food in North Idaho. The book provides detailed information on over 200 natural foods and includes clear pictures and written explanations to help with identification. Its compact size makes it easy to take with you on foraging trips. However, some pictures only show the plants at one stage of their life/year, which can make identification difficult, and the book could use more variety of pictures to help identify plants. Additionally, the black and white photos can make it difficult to identify certain plants.
Nature Book about Medicinal Plants
We highly recommend purchasing Pacific Northwest Medicinal Plants as it is an informative and comprehensive guide to identifying, harvesting, and using 120 wild herbs for health and wellness.
- Beautiful and clear images of each plant for easy identification
- Provides detailed information on the medicinal properties of each plant
- Includes recipes for teas and tinctures to make at home
- Not all plants covered are specific to the Pacific Northwest
- Some readers may prefer a more scientific approach to plant identification and usage
- May not be suitable for those with no prior knowledge of herbal medicine
As avid hikers and nature enthusiasts, we found Pacific Northwest Medicinal Plants to be an invaluable resource for identifying and using wild herbs for medicinal purposes. The book is easy to navigate and each plant is accompanied by a clear image, making identification a breeze. The descriptions of each plant’s medicinal properties are detailed and informative, and the recipes for teas and tinctures are easy to follow.
While not all of the plants covered are specific to the Pacific Northwest, we still found the book to be a valuable resource for identifying and using wild herbs in the region. However, those with no prior knowledge of herbal medicine may find some of the information overwhelming or difficult to understand.
Overall, this book is an excellent resource for anyone interested in using wild herbs for health and wellness. Whether you’re a seasoned herbalist or a beginner, this book is sure to provide valuable insights and information.
A Perfect Gift for Bird Lovers
If you’re a bird enthusiast or just starting out, this book is a must-have. It’s informative, beautifully illustrated, and easy to read.
- The illustrations are stunning and make it easy to identify birds.
- The book covers a wide range of bird behaviors and answers many questions you may have about birds.
- The writing is engaging and easy to understand, even for beginners.
- The book is quite heavy and may not be easy to carry around.
- The information can be overwhelming at times, especially if you’re new to birdwatching.
- The book doesn’t cover every bird species, so you may still need to do some research on your own.
As birdwatchers ourselves, we found What it’s Like to be a Bird to be a valuable addition to our collection. The illustrations are beautiful and make it easy to identify birds, while the writing is engaging and informative. The book covers a wide range of bird behaviors and answers many questions you may have about birds. However, the book is quite heavy and may not be easy to carry around, and the information can be overwhelming at times, especially if you’re new to birdwatching. Additionally, the book doesn’t cover every bird species, so you may still need to do some research on your own. Overall, we highly recommend this book to any bird enthusiast.
A Unique Book About Nature
We highly recommend purchasing The Lost Art of Reading Nature’s Signs because it is an incredibly informative and enjoyable read that will teach you how to navigate and survive in the great outdoors.
- Teaches you how to find your way, predict the weather, locate water, track animals, and other forgotten skills
- Written in an interesting and engaging way that makes it feel like you’re learning from a friend
- Contains a wealth of knowledge that is applicable to a variety of outdoor activities
- Assumes some prior knowledge and familiarity with the outdoors, which may be difficult for beginners
- Examples and anecdotes are largely based on the English countryside, which may not be as relevant to readers in other parts of the world
- Some readers may find the book to be too detailed and technical, rather than a casual read
The Lost Art of Reading Nature’s Signs is an excellent resource for anyone who enjoys spending time outdoors and wants to learn more about navigating and surviving in nature. The author’s writing style is engaging and informative, and the book is filled with useful tips and information that will help you become a better outdoorsman. Whether you’re an experienced hiker or a beginner, this book is a must-read.
One of the most impressive things about this book is the sheer amount of information it contains. The author covers everything from how to predict the weather to how to find water in the desert, and everything in between. The book is also filled with interesting anecdotes and stories that make it feel like you’re learning from a friend rather than a textbook.